Tattooing, Piercing, Indoor Tanning Permits
All shops in Chautauqua County require inspection before a Certificate of Sanitation is issued by the Chautauqua County Department of Health and Human Services (CCDHHS). The Sanitary Code of the Chautauqua County defines a tattoo/piercing shop as any room or space tattooing is practiced or where the business of tattooing/piercing is conducted. Once certified, each shop is inspected annually to ensure compliance with Article XIII of the Sanitary Code.
If you intend to operate a tattoo/piercing shop in Chautauqua County, please contact the CCDHHS Environmental Health Unit at (716) 753-4481 prior to construction or remodeling. Many of the Sanitary Code requirements pertain to the construction of the physical facility.
Microblading is a method of tattooing in which semi-permanent ink is added to the skin. Microblading shops and practitioners are subject to the same requirements as other tattoo shops in Chautauqua County.
Written, notarized parental consent is required for any individual under 18 years of age to receive a body piercing. The only exception to the consent requirement is when the outer earlobe or perimeter of the ear is pierced with a pre-sterilized, single-use stud and clasp system. Consent documents and a copy of the parent's photo identification must be retained by the shop. The consenting parent must present the document in person. Individuals shops should be contacted for more information.
Tattoo / Body Piercing Artists
Individuals interested in practicing tattooing, microblading, or body piercing must obtain a Tattoo / Body Piercing Artist Certificate issued by CCDHHS Environmental Health Unit. Please contact the office at (716) 753-4481 if you are interested in becoming an artist in Chautauqua County.
Current Tattoo / Body Piercing Shops & Locations
- A.K. Tattoo - Jamestown
- Cattoos - Dunkirk
- Insanity Ink - Forestville
- Microblading by Heather - Fredonia
- Mirage Salon - Jamestown
- Outrage Art - Jamestown
- Panache - Jamestown
- Red Bird Tattoo - Fredonia
- The Body Shoppe - Falconer
- True Blue Tattoo - Fredonia
- Wildside Tattoo & Piercing - Lakewood
Resources for Tattooing / Piercing Certifications
Effective August 16, 2018, New York State Public Health Law prohibits the use of ultraviolet tanning facilities by anyone under 18 years of age. All tanning facilities in New York State using ultraviolet radiation devices are required to obtain a permit to operate. Tanning facilities in Chautauqua County are permitted and regulated by the CCDHHS - Environmental Health Unit.
Visit the NYS Department of Health webpage for Tanning and Sun Safety information.
Apply for an Indoor Tanning Permit
- The concentration of the disinfectant, expressed as parts per million (ppm), is not always listed on disinfectant containers. How does facility operator determine the required concentration?
- What should the tanning facility operator do if there is no label on their tanning bed or booth?
- Some stand up booths do not have handrails, acrylic covering the bulbs, non skid floors or indicators to show where patrons should position themselves in the booth. Do these issues need addressed?