Welcome to the Chautauqua County Clerk's web page. The County Clerk is responsible for the recording of all land documents, serves as the clerk for the Supreme and County courts, oversees the Department of Weights and Measures and County Historian and heads the three Department of Motor Vehicle Bureau offices in our County. As your County Clerk, I strive to make our services easily accessible and available and to make your experience at any of our offices a pleasant one.
- Copies of documents may be requested by mail. All requests must include the document Liber and page or Instrument number, the appropriate fee, and a self - addressed stamped envelope. Requests that do not have a self- addressed stamped envelope will not be processed. Contact the County Clerk's office for the information needed to complete your request at 716-753-4331.
- Real Property Records - We are the recording office for deeds, mortgages, discharge of mortgages, and many other documents pertaining to real estate.
- Online Documents - The Chautauqua County Clerk's office is now offering online access to documents. Subscriptions and one-time user options are available. Please log on to SearchIQS for complete information regarding fees and a list of records available online.
- Supreme and County Court filing clerk- All documents in civil Supreme Court actions, matrimonial, guardianship cases, name changes and criminal proceedings in County court are filed with the County Clerk's office.
- Business Certificates – Click on "Business Certificate Forms" link on the left for complete information on filing a DBA (Doing Business As) certificates and information on Certificates of Incorporation.
- Passports - The county clerk is an acting agent for the U.S. Department of State Passport Agency. Appointments are requested by calling 753-4523.
- Please visit: New York Department of State Division of Licensing Services for complete Passport information.
- Military Discharges - All servicemen and women may file their military discharges with the County Clerk's Office at no charge. See our Veteran's Return the favor link to the left for information on the discount card available to honorably discharged military veterans. Appointments necessary by calling 753-4977.
- Census Records - We have census records from 1825 to 1925 available through our Historian's office.
- Marriage Records - We have marriage records from 1908 to 1935 through our Historian's office. All other marriage records are kept at the town or city where the marriage license was purchased.
- Birth and Death Records - Birth and death records are kept at the Town or City clerk's office where the event occurred.
- Notary Public - Notaries Public are commissioned in their counties of residence. After receiving and approving an applicant for a notary public commission, the Secretary of State forwards the commission, the original oath of office and the signature of the notary public to the appropriate county clerk. The county clerk maintains a record of the commission and signature. Go to New York Department of State Division of Licensing Services for complete Notary information.
- Designated Newspapers for LLC Publication:
Observer : 366-3000
Post Journal: 487-1111
Westfield Republican: 326-3163
- eRecording - The Chautauqua County clerk's office offers eRecording of land records on a consensual basis. The process allows secure and efficient recording of real estate documents.
Currently, eRecorded documents are accepted from the following vendors:
Corporation Service Company
Corporation Service Company Website
eRecording Partners Network
eRecording Partners Network Website
- eFiling - The Chautauqua County clerk’s office offers eFiling of court filings on a mandatory basis.
The process allows secure and efficient filing of court cases.
Currently, eFiling documents are accepted from the following vendors:
NYS Courts Electronic Filing